The Barbados Volleyball Association (BVA) was established in 1976 under the Presidency of the late Trevor Griffith. While the formal establishment of The BVA and of organised competition can be accurately traced to that year, the precise circumstances surrounding the introduction of Volleyball to Barbados remains obscure. Available information suggests that like many social and recreational activities, Peace Corps volunteers introduced the sport here in the early 1950's. While this may seem somewhat recent for a sport of such widespread international standing, one must bear in mind that volleyball is a relatively young sport. William Morgan invented volleyball in the USA in 1895, but until the 1930's it was mainly a game for leisure and recreation with little international competition. The international governing body - International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) was established in 1947.
The current standing which volleyball enjoys in Barbados owes much to the solid foundation laid during is formative years. The BVA has been fortunate to attract a number of individuals to its presidency with considerable organisational and administrative skills during the early years. In addition volleyball was established very early as a solid community based sport and it was that community basis in areas such as Deacons, St. Judes, Wellhouse and Cave Hill which lent the continuity necessary to survive the early hurdles which any newly organised activity faces.